Analytics Tracker

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Road Trip Recap 4: Chicaaaago!

I really like my early morning yoga... I went to a vinyasa class at 6am today, to sneak in some practice before work. Oh yeah, did I mention I started my new job? Well, I did. There it is. Woooo.

It feels so good to get all the kinks out of your muscles before you, um, spend your entire day sitting at a desk staring at your laptop, and I kind of like being up before most people. When I got up, Ben was sleeping. He continued sleeping as I sifted through clothes in a bleary-eyed haze trying to find something work appropriate to throw in my gym bag. He continued sleeping as I rummaged around for shoes and socks (which I almost forgot on my way out the door...yikes). And when I left...he was still sleeping... but the yoga studio wasn't!

I am so lucky to work at a company that serves healthy breakfasts in the cafeteria - so on days like today, when I'm go from yoga to work and don't have time to make my own breakfast, I know I can pick something up once I get there. Today I threw together a bowl of steel-cut oats topped with brown sugar, flax seed meal, dried cherries and PB....yum.

Ok back to the fun part - travel! On the way back we stopped in Kentucky outside of Louisville (not really worth mentioning except for the mexican restaurant we ate at that looked sketchy but ended up being fantastic), and then continued on to Chicago to visit friends and family. Two of my best friends - Kristin and Katie - live in Chicago, as well as Bens' brother and sister-in-law, and their beautiful baby girl Lillian...soon to be my NIECE!

Kristin was kind enough to host us for the night, so when we arrived in Chicago we went straight to her place and were greeted by her lovely dog Dexter. We hung out for a couple of hours at Kristin's place and chatted over tea, and then met up with Katie at a nearby Indian restaurant for dinner, where the four of us had some excellent conversations around education reform, old college/high school shenanigans, and traveling. After dinner, it had gone from cold and windy to cold, windy and raining, and we got completely drenched on the way home. Luckily we had the foresight to stop at Molly's Cupcakes for a few sweet treats - nothing cures the rain and cold quite like cupcakes and wine!


Me, Kristin and Katie at Kristin's condo


Our lovely hosts, Kristin and Dexter!


The next morning, Ben and I hopped on the bus to visit Matt, Julia and Lillian!


He didn't realize I was making silly faces.


...now we are on the same page :)



Matt and Julia live right near the libary, which is a gorgeous building.



I know everyone thinks the babies in their family are the cutest babies ever....


... but I think Lillian might actually be the cutest baby ever.


Bros.



Back at Kristin's, we packed up our stuff, said our goodbyes and hit the road back to Minneapolis. I miss my friend but I know I will see them soon at the WEDDING!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...