Analytics Tracker

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hijacked!

Ways in which my classmates hijacked my ethics class:

~~~~~

Professor: So what did Shell do that was unethical?
Classmate 1 (immediately): NOTHING.

~~~~~

Professor: So...wait what was that quote again.... the tragedy of the commons...something about good men....
Classmate 2: It's a tangent let's move on.
Professor: OK.

~~~~~

I can't think of anything to write so I'll let Rumi and Ghandi do it for me:

Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,there is a field. I'll meet you there. When the soul lies down in that grass, the world is too full to talk about. Ideas, language, even the phrase "each other" doesn't make sense. Today like every other day, we wake up empty and frightened. Don't open the door to the study and begin reading. Take down the musical instrument. Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.
- Rumi
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

—Gandhi


(p.s. the quote the prof was trying to remember is from Thomas Paine: "The only thing required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing")

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, if I had a nickel for every time "It's a tangent, let's move on" would work at seminary ... I wouldn't have any student loans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I know! I love this prof but we are at least a whole class behind and we have a quiz next week...and he really loves his tangents. Someone has to keep things on track, luckily my classmates are always willing to step up and take charge!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...